WAVERLY HIGH SCHOOL: Global Voices DIVERSITY CLUB
During my time at Waverly High School, I started the Global Voices Diversity Club. In addition to taking trips abroad, I had more than fifty guest speakers come from diverse sectors of the world including Argentina, Ukraine, Armenia, Swaziland, Norway, the Maldives, and many more locales.
This organization was a Waverly High School specialty group that focused on current and global issues. The group continues to this day and I have supported the continuation of this group. Our goal is to explore new cultures and subcultures through presentations, discussions, and research. We hope to gain new perspectives on current issues within Waverly and throughout the world. We pledge to learn from others as well as collaborate and share knowledge. To learn more visit the organization's webpage: http://whsglobalvoices.wixsite.com/whsclubs.
To establish an environment where students are invited to experience and explore diverse cultures, perspectives, and current societal issues in the local and global community to ultimately determine who they are and what they are passionate about by sharing their opinions and listening to others. Students would be challenged to make connections between discussions and relevant life events as well as WHS curriculum.
- Students will explore who they are in relation to others within the WHS community and beyond and be confident in expressing their identities.
- Students will serve as leaders by researching, presenting, and sharing information about diverse cultures.
- Students will engage in opportunities to experience different cultures as students use critical and creative thinking to empathize and seek to understand multiple perspectives as well as view their world via diverse lenses.
- Students will be informed about local and global issues and guide them as they discuss and develop their personal perspectives and viewpoints.
- Students will be challenged to be involved in solving local and global problems.
- Students will learn how to constructively express their opinions and how to respond to the expressed opinions of others.
- Students will engage in critical thinking and prepare to engage in a diverse post-secondary world.